Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Packing Up!

As hectic as graduation week was, this week was just as insane for both of us. After my family left on Monday I had two days to move out of my apartment and drive 8 hours to Arizona for my little brother’s high school graduation. Then, yesterday I woke up at 6am to drive back to San Diego to meet Devin to get everything together for the trip. Meanwhile, Devin has been spending the week in San Diego doing all of the things she and I didn’t have time to get done before I left while also moving out of the apartment and bringing her things up to her family’s house in Laguna to store for the summer. Needless to say, we are ecstatic to be on the road and away from the chaos.

Grocery shopping last night proved to be quick and easy all thanks to my amazing Grandmother who bought me a surplus of vegan food while I was home for the graduation festivities. Not to mention all of the leftovers my mother gave us from the BBQ. We have above and beyond what we would have been able to afford including beans, vegan chili, tofurkey sausages, soy “ground beef”, vegan cheeses, tofu, Portobello mushrooms, broccoli, cauliflower, celery, carrots, radishes, bell pepper, grapes, cherries, strawberries, honeydew, cucumber, tomatoes, whole wheat pasta, homemade vegan French bread, and tortillas. She even gave us canned tomatoes for our homemade salsa and marinara! All we had to buy last night then was a ton of oats for our homemade trail mix and oatmeal, peanut butter, hummus, water, tortilla chips, and brown rice.  

The most expensive thing we bought last night was all the makings for our trail mix (chopped banana chips, chopped almonds, cranberries, raisins, dried apricot, sunflower seeds, and pumpkin seeds; totaling roughly $11 excluding the expense for the pumpkin and sunflower seeds because those were also included in everything my grandma bought for us). This made a TON of trail mix so we are pretty confident that it will last us most of the trip.




Not having enough energy to do our usual cooking routine and knowing we will be staying with my brother in Salt Lake for a couple days after Vegas, we opted to save some of the cooking for Utah. 

No comments:

Post a Comment